MX -> TXT SPF widlcard records

2004-07-20 13:40:54
Hi,

I have read some discusssions in IETF forum about use of wildcard MX records
and how they are represented in SPF TXT records.
Our company too provides users with addresses such as @user.mycompany.com and
we use wildcards in MX records.

The problem under discussion was that if a server has an MX wildcard record
similar to
*.mydomain.com IN MX 210.212.3.4
there can be a matching TXT record for SPF that that will satisfy the domains
in the email-address:
*.mydomain.com IN TXT "v=spf1 mx ?all"
But, serverID xml TXT records require that _ep.*.mydomain.com contain the xml
text record and this is not supported by DNS systems.

Did I state this problem correctly? Is there any proposal that will solve this
problem?

If there is another forum that is more apt for these issues, please redirect me.

thanks,
Murthy Gorty

Send us money!  http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html