Re: SPF and Responsibility

2004-07-21 19:41:47
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:07:24 +0300, Andriy G. Tereshchenko wrote
Spam is not USA-only problem. It's global.
Even more - I'm pretty sure that most of USA companies can afford
legal (spam-free) ways to deliver ads. Legal risks in USA are pretty
high. If I was USA company and need to send spam - I will hire
somebody outside of USA (like China) to send spam on my behalf.

Well, yeah.  This is why the recent anti-spam legislation passed in the U.S.
is so useless.  Much of the spam I get comes from two sources:
- Compromised home machines on cable connections (in other words, people who
are ALREADY breaking the law ANYWAY)
- China, Korea, and other countries in that part of the world.

Open relays, which used to be a huge source of spam, are now pretty minor.
That war has mostly been won.

The spam problem from China and Korea is so bad that I know of some people who
just blacklist everything from the Asia-Pacific netblocks.