Re: Is SPF serving the best interests of the end-user?

2004-07-21 19:49:50
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:33:28 -0700, spf wrote
so since email is an arbitrary construct designed by humans, what if
the spammer had to guess my phone number, as well as my hair color?

Or my zip code.

Or the last 4 digits of my SSN.  Or bank account.  Or utility
billing number.  Or my home town.  Or my university...

And what if there was no particular syntax or order these questions
would be asked of the spammer?

Ah, yes, the "Challenge-Response" scheme (though I like the term "Prove That
You Love Me", which someone on a mailing list I'm on used.)

There's nothing more "fun" than posting to a mailing list and getting a dozen
PTYLM responses in my inbox, along the lines of...

   This mailbox is protected by Yoyodyne Spamguard.
   Your message has been held for verification.  Please go to the following
   URL to send a message asking for it to be accepted.

It's annoying as all get out.  And it's a form of spam in itself, since it's
inherently advertising Yoyodyne Spamguard.  I refuse to answer these things;
for one thing, past experience has shown that a lot of the time, they don't
work, and I just get more of them later.