Re: Is SPF serving the best interests of the end-user?

2004-07-21 16:16:36
spf(_at_)nevster(_dot_)net wrote:

Yes, I'm suggesting that if a user wants to participate in the great big real-world email system, spam-free, that the end-user be given an open-ended, reasonable-to-use framework that suggests, if not compels him to put effort into defining an individual method of letting his contacts authenticate themselves for him. Much like real life.

If I want to enable someone to converse with me in real life, I have to provide my party a phone number, and an address, or an email address. Before I provide that party such important, personal access, I would decide on entirely personal values whether it was prudent.

I would give my boss my home cell phone number, but a vendor my desk phone only.

If my bank were to call me with news of consequence, I would have them properly identify themselves.

But, on the other hand, none of these things has anything to do with what a spammer does -- there's nothing you can do to prevent them from dialing your number randomly.