Re: SPF will solve spam and punish spammers

2004-07-22 16:03:21
Jonathan Gardner <jonagard(_at_)amazon(_dot_)com>:
SPF does indeed solve the spam problem.  SPF will bring spammers to justice.

Wrong and wrong.

According to the real world data I'm getting on my site, SPF has
basically no effect on spam.  It does, however, block pretty much
100% of the hundreds of thousands of worms I get each day.

This is exactly as I expected, and as anyone who has thought about
it should have expected.  The current generation of spammers do not
bother to forge their addresses - they use stolen machines instead.
But all worms propagate using forged addresses.

This also explains why Microsoft is supporting us - it's much cheaper
than fixing their OS to prevent worm infection.

If you have data showing SPF doing anything about spam, let's see it.
Otherwise, please expect to be ignored.
---
Jef

         Jef Poskanzer  jef(_at_)acme(_dot_)com  http://www.acme.com/jef/