RE: Fwd: Sender-ID and free software

2004-07-25 09:49:43

Phillip,

The problem is not MARID or which other forum the standard is developed.
What we want is standard that everybody can implement and that is what is
being challenged here because Microsoft did not provide licensing on
terms that everyone can accept.

At the same time, Microsoft has not provided even an answer on which part
of the spec they have patent on, nor is it clear if patent they have can
even apply as PRA algorithm has already been changed during MARID
discussion and even before that, the algorithm proposed was a fairly
obvious one and its not totally clear if you can patent thing like that
(can you really patent an idea that person who send you email can be
identifed by either From or Sender header?).

And of course, that we have a tight schedule and that slow-working lawyers
in one of the biggest companies (the bigger organization, the bigger is a
bureaucracy) have to be involved does not help...