Re: MARID sessions - do spammers care about BW?

2004-08-07 14:09:13
On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 07:29, Meng Weng Wong wrote:

I recommend a perusal of

  http://www.faqs.org/rfc/rfc2920.txt

  http://www.postfix.org/uce.html#reject_unauth_pipelining

The bandwidth problem of spam is a side effect of spam; if a
spammer wanted to just eat your bandwidth and not send spam
they wouldn't be a spammer any more; they would be a DDOSer.

PIPELINING is of little relevance to most small SMTP servers because
connections by spammers would be individual ones repeated over the
course of several hours (as I see extensively on my small server), its
rare that I see multiple recipients attempted at the same time.

All spammers do to get around PIPELINING is to connect multiple times no
doubt at greater cost as the overhead is now consumed by multiple
connections where originally there could have just been one.

What is your experience with this @ pobox.com Meng?

Cheers,

James

--