RE: help testing spf-aware MTA

2004-08-10 10:41:17
        - ideally, I'd like to send a rejection reply to the sender
          and quarantine the email instead of rejecting it, so that
          I have a full copy of the email to examine in case of
problems.

This is NOT ideal. Don't do this. If spf rejects, this most
likely means the sender address is forged. You don't want to
harras innocent bystanders with automated replies, now don't you??

Koen

You can get the best of both worlds by deferring the rejection until the
server response to the DATA phase.  Then you have a copy of the message
but you have avoided the responsibility for reporting the undeliverable.
If the message is legitimate, the sending MTA will create an
undeliverable report back to the sender.  If the message is spam or a
virus, the sending MTA will just move on.

Matthew(_dot_)van(_dot_)Eerde(_at_)hbinc(_dot_)com
805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com         Software Engineer
perl -e"map{y/a-z/l-za-k/;print}shift" "Jjhi pcdiwtg Ptga wprztg,"

http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in Atlanta features
SPF and Sender ID.