Re: spf-milter and memory

2004-08-14 14:24:59
Chris Miller wrote:

On startup spf-milter is using ~25MB of memory and starts
climbing from there. Within 90 minutes it will be using
~100MB.

To whom it may concern...

I recently upgraded to Perl 5.8.5 (from 5.8.2). And it has shown a drastic
improvement of spf-milter. To mention a few:

1): Memory leaks are significantly lower.

2): Faster spawning of threads (there were several bugs, between 5.8.0 and
5.8.5, sporadically causing spawning of a thread to take unusually long).

3): No longer 'abandoned' sockets in netstat. To explain this, on the output
of "netstat -a", I would find a gradual build-up of descriptors to the
spf-milter socket name: connections to the socket that were apparently
opened, but not closed properly. All of these 'zombie' sockets are gone now.

Perl and ithreads will likely always maintain a strained relationship. But
the upgrade to Perl 5.8.5, though it took me a whole day to get everything
back, is worth it. YMMV, of course.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---