Re: Why will SPF stop SPAM.

2004-08-17 00:37:53
On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 07:21 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
On its own, SPF will not stop spam

Right.

This is why there has been much discussion of reputation services
recently, which will allow domain names to be scored, so that domains
with reputations for sending non-spam mail can be distinguished from
those that don't.

Right. So we've imposed all this breakage, and still haven't got any
sane and actually deployable alternative to SRS for _fixing_ said
breakage -- and we've 'reduced' the problem to basically the same
problem as we had before. Only instead of listing IP addresses in our
'reputation database' we are now listing domain names.

Seems like the whole exercise was fairly pointless.

--
dwmw2