Email forwarding w/o submission service

2004-08-21 01:02:08
My college alumni association provides an email forwarding service: any alumnus can get a <user>@alum.mit.edu address that forwards to their real email service. However, they don't provide a mail submission service -- you still have to send your mail out through whatever SMTP server you would normally use.

How is this supposed to work with SPF? The answers in the FAQ all seem to be about services like pobox.com, which also provide submission services. There's no way for MIT to list all the possible mail servers that will send out mail from <user>@alum.mit.edu. I guess this means they'll have to leave the domain unprotected, which means that spammers are free to forge alum.mit.edu addresses.

The FAQ says that SPF is intended to protect the envelope sender, not the From: address. However, AFAICT, my MUA (Mac OS X 10.3.5 Mail) doesn't provide any way to specify the envelope sender; it has one place to specify the Email Address for a mail account, and it uses this as both the envelope sender and the From: address. You can specify a different username to be used with SMTP authentication, but this is just a username, not an address (it shows up in a comment in the Received: line that the SMTP server adds). So do we need all the MUA implementations to provide this additional setting?

I apologize if this has been discussed before. It wasn't answered adequately in the FAQ, and there doesn't seem to be a search facility for the list archive.

Barry Margolin <barmar(_at_)alum(_dot_)mit(_dot_)edu>
Arlington, MA