Re: Which address of this list should auto-responses go?

2004-08-21 09:44:47
--On Samstag, August 21, 2004 16:40:19 +0800 AccuSpam <support(_at_)accuspam(_dot_)com> wrote:
[...]
Just do not send auto responses for list mails. Ask yourself why all
respectable auto responder software has (sometimes quite extensive)
filters to avoid exactly this misbehaviour.

Yes but as I wrote already, an anti-spam system that uses responses can
not do this because as I said the spammer could mimick a list to escape
the anti-spam response mechanism.

Then that anti-spam system should not be used to receive list mails. Not all tools are appropriate for every purpose. Choose the right tool for each task.

Thus the only answer is for lists to declare a null address they want
auto-responses sent to.  If they did that, then you wouldn't need
complicate heuristics and you wouldn't see posts like this on this list:

http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200408/0493.html

No. Just do not send auto responses to lists. Whitelist any list that you subscribe to. If you do not want to do that, fine, do not subscribe then.

Again I conclude the problem is with the list programming, not AccuSpam.

No. There are certain stabndrads of acceptabel behaviour conecerning mailing lists. If you do not wish to comply then stay away from mailing lists. Broken software (and by that I mean AccuSpam) sending auto responses to mailing lists is not acceptable. If somebody insists to use them (and that includes those out of office notifications) the list admin will throw them off the list, I hope.

It is unfortunate for lists who have this bug and do not want to fix, but
that is your right.  You can blacklist your own members if you like.

It is not a bug in the list software. It is a bug in the software used at the recipient's end (or some misconfiguration by its user/admin).

I would *LOVE* to fix if it was my bug.  Sorry.  I was correct from
beginning.

Sincerely, thanks for info to confirm it.

It is your bug, either in the software or its configuration.

I know that you hate to admit the list has a bug, but that auto-response
above was not generated by AccuSpam.  The list is coded wrong.

No. Just because your software is not the only heap of shit out there does not mean that it works fine. It simply shares at least one bug with other software.

Ralf Döblitz