RE: Opening Debate on SPF vs. SenderKeys

2004-08-21 09:44:11
I think "-all" should be required by the SPF spec.
How can anyone trust a domain that can send email from anywhere?

The SPF checkers should be smart enough to catch things like
"v=spf1 ip4:0/0 -all" or "v=spf1 ip4:0/1 ip4:1/1 ... -all"

So don't just look for -all, if the range(s) are so large to have little
effect, then disallow the spf record.

Guy

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of AccuSpam
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2004 4:23 AM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Opening Debate on SPF vs. SenderKeys

Mostly right now, SPF is needed by anti-spam recipients more than it
is needed by senders.  The only senders who need it real bad are the
corporations being phished.

And they seem to be very slow at adopting SPF or any other
authentication scheme.

I noticed a few.  Interesting.

You think maybe because they share their domain with many human sender
employees and can not risk the false positive of declaring "-all"?

I think BrightMail.com may play a big role in this.

Also, SPF *is* needed by all senders. SPF is (or would be if more
receivers checked it) a very good Joe-job prevention system. I do not
know if you have ever had spammers (and worms, viruses etc) forge your
Return Address, causing you to receive bounces for mail which you did
not send - This is the problem which SPF was designed to combat.

Will not help if "-all" is not declared and that has been mostly the main
point of my debate here.

http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in Atlanta features
SPF and Sender ID.