RE: Re: DEPLOY: SPF/Sender ID support in Courier.

2004-08-27 19:25:12
from the mxcomp list:

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 08:01:16PM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

| The purpose of this message is to clarify my plans for any deployment of
| the Sender-ID specification in Courier (http://www.courier-mta.org).
|
| Microsoft has made certain patent claims on the Sender-ID specification.
| Microsoft has issued the IPR disclosures and royalty free license required

| by the IETF.  It appears that IETF's contemporary policies do not prevent
| the sponsor/advocates from including patented IP material into
| standards-track specifications, without even requiring the sponsor to
| actually enumerate and identify their intellectual property; a mere claim
| of the existence of some nebulous IP rights is sufficient, which can be
| revealed at any point in the future, at the sponsor's discretion.
|
| The current development version of Courier implements the original
| SPF-classic specification, that predates Sender-ID.  This will be rolled
| into a forthcoming release.  I'm quite pleased with the results so far --
| there are a lot of classic SPF records in existence, as witnessed by my
| mail logs :-)
|
| It will not be possible for me to implement Sender ID in Courier.  Courier

| is licensed under the GPL.  The FSF already flatly stated that Microsoft's

| IP license is not GPL compatible.  I reviewed the most recent version of
| Microsoft's proposed IP license, and I've reached the same conclusion.
For
| this reason Sender ID cannot be implemented in Courier; Courier's
| implementation will be limited to the unencumbered SPF-classic.
|
| --
| Sam Varshavchik
| http://www.courier-mta.org

http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in Atlanta features
SPF and Sender ID.

MWW,

As a newcomer to the SPF / M$ IP / IETF scenario, what does this mean for us
"common folk"?  Please keep in mind that I have watched this list for quite
some time but the whole M$ and SPF thing has never been very clear to me. I
apologize if this has been commented / beat to death in the past.

I enjoy SPF - the email type not the sun block type - it works for me and my
small company but I rely on courier for our business.  If Sam cannot support
the future incarnation of SPF (SenderID if I'm correct) then I can't either
and I'm fairly certain that courier has a fairly large install base.  How
should we go about this and / or deal with this statement?

All, I am sorry to bring this up but maybe this will be good for future
people to see in the archive and not ask it again ;-)

Thanks for your time,
Jake