RE: Re: DEPLOY: SPF/Sender ID support in Courier.

2004-08-27 19:39:17
On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 22:25, Jake S wrote:

[snip]

I enjoy SPF - the email type not the sun block type - it works for me and my
small company but I rely on courier for our business.  If Sam cannot support
the future incarnation of SPF (SenderID if I'm correct) then I can't either
and I'm fairly certain that courier has a fairly large install base.  How
should we go about this and / or deal with this statement?

  In brief, subscribe to the ietf mailing list (go to
http://www.imc.org/ and look for ietf-marid), read the archives and in
particular, read this post by Andrew Newton, one of the co-chairs for
the MARID Working Group:
http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg03468.html.  That post
outlines the guidelines for posting corrections/objections to the
proposed documents:

draft-ietf-marid-core-03.txt
draft-ietf-marid-submitter-03.txt
draft-ietf-marid-protocol-02
draft-ietf-marid-pra-00.txt

  Unfortunately, you may have a lot of reading to do, and little time to
post your concerns to the MARID list.  Last Call was called for on
Monday, with only a two week duration.  But, according to the above
referenced post by Andrew Newton, just posting a DEPLOY issue regarding
your inability to deploy Sender-ID without a painful migration to
another SMTP server (given that the author of your chosen SMTP server
has stated that he cannot implement Sender-ID under the current license)
may be enough for the co-chairs to consider it.
  On a positive note, there have only been evaluations posted from three
attorneys (Anne P. Mitchell, Esq., Eben Moglen, and Larry Rosen) and all
three see this patent license as incompatible with the majority (if not
all!) FOSS licenses.  It has also been pointed out that it potentially
conflicts with some other licenses, such as the qmail license.  That's a
lot of weight for the chairs to ignore.  Deployment WILL be an issue if
this standard goes forward with the current Sender-ID patent license
Microsoft has posted.
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator