SPF and RBL email checker now also does HashCash

2004-08-28 05:56:40
Hi All,

The title says it all really.

Here's the new live address you can send to:-

   x(_at_)y(_dot_)com(_dot_)spfchk(_dot_)emsvr(_dot_)com

It returns your SPF/RBL/HashCash check results back to you (the
envelope-sender email address) along with additional usage
instructions.

The "x(_at_)y(_dot_)com(_dot_)" can be any email address - I chose this format
to allow
me to do extra tests based on the intended recipient one day, or any
other thing that needs "passing arguments" to my script.

Let me know if you have requests for new features.

This is now available for general use, and I grant permission for
people to mention this test facility in public etc if they want.

My server logs nothing special about this traffic at present (besides
normal sendmail logs) and none of this information will be made
public. If I suffer abuse, I'll announce whatever countermeasures I
make up as I do so (probably a Türing test to get a password to add
onto after the ".spfchk." bit I expect).

Results come back to you from an SPF enabled+compliant address, with
15bits of hashcash postage (I know - 75milliseconds postage is stingy
- but my server's got better things to do most of the time...) yet it
scores badly on spamassassin (chickenpox...).  It returns results
usually in under a second - so check your spam folder if you don't see
the result immediately.

Adam: I've BCC'd you on this email in case you were unaware that your
HashCash is stirring up a lot of debate on the SPF mailling list.

Kind Regards,
Chris Drake