Re: PRA - purported responsible address

2004-08-28 21:52:54

--jpinkerton <johnp(_at_)idimo(_dot_)com> wrote:

I have just read the PRA, CORE, etc files which are referred to in MARID
and the MS patent licence and I hope I am wrong, but here's my take on it.

... snip

Now - please tell me I am wrong - but if M$ are applying for a patent
licence over the CORE and PRA documents (or parts of them), it is going to
be impossible to *not* include the PROTOCOL document - which is spf .

No, not in my understanding. Remember, MS applied for the patent(s) for CallerID, not for SenderID, and only parts of CallerID at that. They applied for their patents before MARID even got started, so the patents are not based on MARID documents -- they only overlap to the extent that the final documents contain parts similar to the original CallerID.

They may end up getting patents for various things, some of which are needed to implement SenderID, and some of which aren't. It looks like the license only applies to inventions that are *both* covered by an MS patent *and* necessary to implement SenderID.

The reason it is left vague as to what is patented and what is licensed is because the pending applications are kept secret. The "necessary claims" part of the license defines what rights you get, without revealing the exact nature of the patent itself... it seems to be saying "If MS wins the patent, you are welcome to use the part of that patent that overlaps with Sender ID."

In other words, they are not trying to steal SPF and patent it too. That wouldn't work and even if USPTO granted it, it would be easy to challenge.

Then I read this expert legal opinion on the ietf-mxcomp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
mail-list :

<quote>
And herein lies one of the rubs - without knowing what the patent
alleges to include, we can't possibly say with any certainty that if it
doesn't work out, very few components need to be switched out to remove
their IPR from play.  It's entirely possible that the pending patent
includes everything, and a few extras besides.  Certainly if I were
their lawyer, that's how I'd write it.  As such, it's entirely possible
that one could find that one couldn't use *any* related components.
Sure, as some have mentioned, there is prior art, MS created Caller
I.D., not Sender I.D., etc. etc..   Are *you* going to fund and mount
that legal battle?

 From a legal viewpoint, it's always safest to assume that the claim
includes nearly everything, if not everything.  Especially when one
can't even see it.

Anne

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.
President/CEO
Institute for Spam and Internet Public Policy
Professor of Law, Lincoln Law School of SJ
Committee Member, Asilomar Microcomputer Workshop
</quote>

So - as far as I can see - M$ are actually trying to patent the whole
thing - Caller-ID, Sender-ID, *and* SPF.  If they are not, why haven't we
been told what they *are* trying to patent????

I think Anne is doing what lawyers do and being ultra-paranoid. MS has said that their patent process started before starting to work on MARID, so my guess is that it's *highly unlikely* that they would take Meng's already semi-derivative work and the work of others and try to patent it. I think Anne is saying that is *possible*, but I am willing to proceed on the assumption that MS is not trying to patent all of SenderID. They are not getting money from the license, after all, just defending against rival claims.