Re: SPF makes the BBC

2004-09-06 02:06:14
On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 08:55:47AM -0000, Peter Bowyer wrote:
I'm an end user (of the Exim MTA). The Microsoft license for SenderID (or
specifically, the alleged incomatability of that license with the GPL) has
caused the maintainer of the MTA to decline to consider incorporating
SenderID in his (and therefore my) software.

So the Microsoft license has impacted my ability to use SenderID in my
chosen environment (one which I have a heavy investment in skills and
customisation).

From the article:

"The company has said that anyone who wants to use Sender ID must take
out a licence to use it, because it incorporates Microsoft's
intellectual property."

This is incorrect, if you merely want to _use_ senderid you don't have to take
out a licence with microsoft. If you don't use senderid, you are not an
end-user of senderid.

But my intention was not to defend microsoft in this matter, and I do
agree with the article for the rest. It's just not in anyone's interest
to have false information represented, and I was merely pointing out the
inaccuracy in the article.

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.