Re: Concerns on SPF Unified

2004-09-10 12:53:13
Jonathan Gardner wrote:

everyone knows that 4 quarts make a gallon

No, I didn't, it's completely beyond me why a quart can be
1.136 or 1.1012 or 0.9464 liter.  Google votes for 0.94635295.

They have to learn about a new algorithm - PRA - and it's
arbitrary ordering of headers.

Not exactly "arbitrary", for the covered cases it's "obvious".

The "arbitrary" part is that it doesn't cover all common cases,
and that there might be an old patent (before August 13, 1982,
later than RfC 822 is unlikely).

I don't see SPF Unified as adding much to SPF.

If there are cases where you can't control the MAIL FROM, but
at least know the MTAs sending mail with your 2822-From, then
PRA could be relevant.  And if you can guarantee that the PRA
matches the MAIL FROM it doesn't hurt.

Perhaps someone here can persuade me that SPF Unified is the
right thing to do, but as it stands now, it seems way too
complicated.

spf2.0/mailfrom is okay, it's almost the same as classic SPF.
At the moment I'm not sure what spf/helo is.  That indirectly
supports your statement.
                           Bye, Frank