SPF, SRS, and forwarding

2004-09-21 14:37:05
I provide email service for my family, and as part of that I have white and black lists for them to use. They can list by domain or email address.

Some of them have email forwarded to the family email address from another "vanity" email address. It seems to me that SPF and SRS could make things weird.

For instance, if their vanity forwarding is set to use SRS, then the black/white lists will not function at all (since they will only ever see the domain being forwarded). It seems to me that the best thing to do would be for them to enforce SPF, and NOT use SRS, and my server would avoid doing SPF for messages forwarded from that server to that user's email address. The problem is, I don't have control over the vanity domain.

Has anybody else encountered similar issues?  If so, what was your solution?

Steve