Re: SPF, SRS, and forwarding

2004-09-21 16:19:42
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Steve Meyers wrote:

see the domain being forwarded).  It seems to me that the best thing to
do would be for them to enforce SPF, and NOT use SRS, and my server
would avoid doing SPF for messages forwarded from that server to that
user's email address.  The problem is, I don't have control over the

Exactly.  SRS is not needed when forwarding is done properly.  It is
needed for large ISPs where forwarding is arranged by millions of its users
without notifying the ISP.

Has anybody else encountered similar issues?  If so, what was your solution?

If the forwarder is using standard SRS, strip the SRS signature to recover
the original domain.  For sendmail, you would use a milter for this.
Other MTAs have other extension mechanisms.