Re: Disappointed, yet..not surprised (was Re: Disap pointed)

2004-09-24 08:08:02

Michael Hammer said:
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 07:22:51 -0700, Hallam-Baker, Phillip
<pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:
Software patents are OK in principle, its just that if the rules were
applied properly the number issued each year would be less than ten.

RSA was a reasonable application, I did not like it but it was
reasonable.

LZW is another good example. The fact that Unisys went the submarine
patent route is another issue.

The link below has a great deal of very interesting examples of software
patents gone wrong. It might help explain some of why I happen to oppose
their existence.

http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/Patents/patents.html#Opinions

--
csm(_at_)moongroup(_dot_)com