Re: Disappointed, yet..not surprised (was Re: Disap pointed)

2004-09-23 12:27:13

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

As I said, you can either obsess about your hatred of Microsoft or
you can help solve the spam problem.
I never said that it was a fair choice. But it is a choice.

The same could be said to MSFT: "you can either obsess about your hatred for open source or you can help solve the spam problem".

Microsoft chose to manufacture their IPR license so that it was unusable by the open source community and in doing so blew up the bridge that they had managed to build with the community through Meng. I'm not sure how it is that you feel that the OSS side had any choice in the matter at all.

Tell me, did you ask Microsoft yourself to do the right thing and change their licensing terms for the greater good -- to help solve the spam problem? Or did you feel that the onus was completely on the open source developers to change the licenses under which they released their software so that they would be in harmony with Microsoft's patent license?