Re: draft: SPF community's position on MARID closing

2004-09-24 11:36:37
In <20040924173822(_dot_)873A661B(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com>
mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com (Meng Weng Wong) writes:

So someone had the idea that we should have an Official
Statement to release to the Media.  Would anybody like to
help iterate this?  Let me know if I left anything out, and
if people are reasonably comfortable with it we can put it
out there on a web page or something.

Ya know, the more I think about it, if you really want to draft
something that reflects the SPF community's position, you need to add
something that denounces the way MS created a software patent covering
obvious ideas that were invented by others and not disclosing all the
things that the patent covered when they should.  You should also add
something about the problems that MS's license caused and their
refusal to let a majority of the mail software deployed on the
Internet to use it.

I know that you (Meng) want to stay on good terms with MS, but I don't
see how you can write something up about the SPF community's position
without including those items.  Other than you, PHB and maybe markl, I
can't think of anyone who supports MS's actions.

-wayne