RE: Processed-By (or Transmitted-By) header concept

2004-09-27 13:39:36
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of Roger
Moser
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 4:29 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: [spf-discuss] Processed-By (or Transmitted-By) header concept

Scott wrote:

To avoid return-path failures in this scenario, the forwarder has to be
whitelisted.  The question is how to do that most reliably.

Suppose I have a Hotmail account, I am a computer-iliterate, and I have
forwarding my mail to my Hotmail account. Now please tell me how to
whitelist my forwarder.

Roger

Since Hotmail doesn't check SPF, it's not necessary.  If Hotmail were to
start checking SPF, they should provide a simple mechanism for their users
to do so.

In the instance I was referring to, Megapath DSL does not market to
computer-iliterate Hotmail users.  They market business DSL to technically
savy customers.  It's a different situation.

If an ISP adds SPF checking to their mail system, they need to be prepared
to deal with forwarding issues.  They aren't that hard, but they need to be
dealt with.

SPF checking only works at the network edge.  I would say that if you are
forwarding messages to yourself, your network edge is at the forwarder.

Scott Kitterman