RE: The pretty name

2004-09-30 13:07:15
[Hector Santos]
Second, SMTP systems is forbidden from modifying the
payload. Screwing around with the headers is borderline
unethical and runs the risk of >violating some US ECPA
provisions. You got product liability issue to deal
with and I would not promote such concepts. Today
2822.From. Tomorrow, what else? The Subject Line?
The Body? I would not promote such ideas. It is
very dangerous.

There are thousands of deployed spam filters that already do what you
say is so "forbidden", modifying the subject with a [spam] label, unique
ID, or the like. And a great many content and antivirus filters that
modify the message body to eliminate "offensive" content.

Your sacred horse has already left the barn. Most major ISPs and
corporations probably modify 2822 message content for their recipients
in some way.

ISPs may indeed have some common-carrier worries about modifying the
2822 paylod, but they already change the content of messages with
antivirus filters and spam filters. Their customers agree to it in the
terms of service.

        -Ryan-