Re: The pretty name

2004-09-30 14:31:02

Push comes to shove, this is mail tampering and its against the law.   When
harm occurs, the user has the right.   The exception is when harm is
considered done at the system.   Nonetheless,  it does not take away the
problem of litigation potential and it has already started to occur with
moronic systems such as GMAIL.COM getting sued left and right world wide..
SPAMASSASIN was playing with fire and it got bit with spammers suing for
tortious interference.  It will be interesting to see the end result of this
case.

My point is simple.   Don't screw around with user mail.  Please consider
the fact I am not admin. We supply admins with the mail transport and
hosting software.  Admins may have a different view on all this and in many
respects, I don't mind saying, it has caused a bigger mess over the years,
especially in the name of spam.   Just to ask mail software developers to
begin "modifying" the payload.  The day that happens (and the law allows it,
which I doubt), well, you know, shit+fan.  Finally, just consider the fact
that to modify the payload, you have to accept the mail and that right there
is where you can get in trouble for being too loose with the delivery of the
mail.

Sincerely,

Hector Santos, CTO
Santronics Software, Inc.