What to include...

2004-10-03 18:44:14
Friends -

Here is a list of questions about what should be included in my upcoming SPF v1 draft. Remember, the goal is to write up what is generally agreed, deployed and implemented as SPF v1.

1) HELO domain checking clause
------------------------------
The last SPF draft (draft-mengwong-spf-01) includes language that allows mail receivers to lookup SPF records for the HELO/EHLO domain and test for a non-Fail result. This is a separate test, performed even in the normal case of a non-null MAIL FROM. Note: the language doesn't specify what to use for a sender-mailbox during such a test, so it is incomplete at present.

I don't know how recently this language was added. Do any implementation of SPF do this? Do people consider this part of SPF Classic, or is this an add-in from the Unified SPF work?

Note that it doesn't affect publishers since they must publish SPF records at the HELO domain anyway due to the null MAIL FROM rule.

2) The Received-SPF Header
The SPF drafts have always had a section on the Received-SPF header. I am presuming that this should be in the draft. Does itm, as it appears in draft-mengwong-spf-01, reflect any implementation?

3) New DNS RR Type
While this language never appeared in any SPF draft, it has been discussed since very early on. The form of the language that made it into the Sender ID protocol draft would not affect any deployed SPF domain or any implementation. Essentially, it simply endorses and hopes you will use a the new RR type (once it is assigned by the IANA).

I recognize that this language clearly does not reflect the deployed or implemented state of SPF. However, it seems to me to be part of the common "we were going to do that when we got to draft status" understanding. Do people agree? Or should I remove it?

Note that the IESG will almost certainly request such language, though I don't know how strongly given that this is experimental status.

        - Mark