Re: What to include...

2004-10-04 10:16:23
On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Mark Lentczner wrote:

1) HELO domain checking clause
------------------------------
The last SPF draft (draft-mengwong-spf-01) includes language that
allows mail receivers to lookup SPF records for the HELO/EHLO domain
and test for a non-Fail result.  This is a separate test, performed
even in the normal case of a non-null MAIL FROM.  Note: the language
doesn't specify what to use for a sender-mailbox during such a test, so
it is incomplete at present.

Python Milter http://bmsi.com/python/milter.html does this.

It is pretty clear for SPF1 that the HELO name of your mail servers should
pass SPF - for the null sender if nothing else.  (And that implies that
'postmaster' should be the localpart used.  SES people - are you paying
attention?)

What is not spelled out is how a receiver should make use of this information.
I don't think this spec should spell out how to make use of HELO either.  There
is wide latitude in how strictly a receiver enforces the requirement that HELO
passes SPF.  For a non-null sender, you could require that both HELO
and MAIL FROM pass.  You could require that either HELO or MAIL FROM pass
(which is what Python Milter does - especially useful with guessed SPF
records).  Or you could check HELO only for null sender.

I don't know how recently this language was added.  Do any
implementation of SPF do this?  Do people consider this part of SPF
Classic, or is this an add-in from the Unified SPF work?

This is definitely part of SPF classic.  Specifications for how to
use HELO checking as part of a forwarding scheme could be in a later spec.

2) The Received-SPF Header
The SPF drafts have always had a section on the Received-SPF header.  I
am presuming that this should be in the draft.  Does itm, as it appears
in draft-mengwong-spf-01, reflect any implementation?

Yes, Received-SPF should be in the draft.  The Python Milter implementation
copies the recommendation in draft-mengwong-spf-01.

3) New DNS RR Type
understanding.  Do people agree?  Or should I remove it?

I agree, keep the mention of RR type.