Re: Article in Oakland (CA) Tribune

2004-10-04 10:41:33
Lou,

At 11:09 AM 10/4/2004, you wrote:
this morning. 'Monday business.com' section, pp 1-2
(Oct 4, 2004)

"Patent row kills anti-spam plan" by Anick Jesdanun (AP).
Never mentions SPF at all at all. It is a promo piece for Sender-ID.
.. snip ..
I do not know if this is online anywhere.
--
-=[L]=-

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/09/28/tech/main645915.shtml

As I understand it, SPF is not promoted as an anti-spam solution per se. Rather, as I understand it, SPF is a tool to confirm the identity of the sending MTA against the domain of the claimed FROM so as to prevent certain senders of email from stealing the identity of a domain that is not controlled by the sender, yet claimed as such in their message. Naturally, a byproduct of implementing SPF is a form of spam protection, insofar as those messages not passing the SPF test presumably do not get delivered.

Since the article really is focused on anti-spam solutions, perhaps this is the reason that SPF was not mentioned? In any case, there were also quotes in the article by well known people in our realm who are not employed by Microsoft, so one might imagine that if SPF were mentioned, they would have done so. It might be interesting to know if they did.

Even so, I am somewhat unclear as to why this article might pose an issue.

Best,

Alan Maitland
The Commerce Company - Making Commerce Simple(sm)
http://WWW.Commerco.Com/