Re: Moving Forward, My Plan

2004-10-04 11:30:40
On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 16:47:15 -0700, Mark Lentczner
<markl(_at_)glyphic(_dot_)com> wrote:
Friends -

consensus on the idea of promoting SPF v1 to experimental RFC draft
status.  It also seems that there isn't much objection to my role as
shepherd.  So, here's my plan:

I will produce a draft that represents what is the common understanding
of SPF v1.  The goal is for such a draft to document current deployment
and implementation and serve as a basis for interoperability testing and
exploration for future versions.

This task is by nature not purely mechanical: Current deployment and
implementation are by no means 100% consistent, and ascertaining common
understanding is subjective.  I take it as both the privilege and the
burden as editor to make these calls.

Technically, this draft will include:

        - the "v=spf1" version string
        - the original modifier scheme (no positional modifiers)
        - the null reverse-path substitution of "postmaster@<helo-domain>"
        - the HELO domain checking clause
        - the new RR type language

However, text for this new draft will derive from the MARID drafts
draft-ietf-marid-protocol and draft-ietf-marid-mailfrom rather than the
older SPF drafts.  I believe this will lead to a draft that has had more
technical review and more finely crafted language.

It is explicitly not a goal to include any new ideas, or new variations
on the semantics, new mechanisms, etc.  And it is understood from the
start that it will not exactly match any particular implementation or
deployment.  Such is the nature of setting down standards.  (Note: I
will comment on why I think the new RR type language gets around this
stricture in a later posting.)

I will try to produce this draft by Tuesday, October 5th.  I will
publish
and announce this draft here for a one week review period.  After that,
I will submit the draft to the IETF as per Ted Hardie's invitation.

I believe that SPF v1 as a published experimental RFC draft will foster
the dual aims of this group:  Building the momentum of SPF v1
deployment,
and continued research into future versions.

Cool Mark. Thank you for moving forward on this!

--
csm
http://moongroup.com