Re: Re: When did we lose control?

2004-10-20 13:04:57
In <41746989(_dot_)26B5(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de> Frank Ellermann
<nobody(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de> writes:

wayne wrote:

You appear to be confusing domain names with host names.

No, I just don't know why you changed Mark's correct ABNF,
and found no other quick explanation for your ( "." *ALPHA )

even RFCs include slash as a recommended domain name

ACK, I've no idea which RfCs recommend slash in domain names.
It can't be about the domains in host names relevant for SPF.

I've mentioned this RFC2317 several times, some of the reference are
fairly recent.

Mark's ABNF for the domain-spec allows for many things
other than l-d-h-string.

Sure, his syntax is fine, I understand it.  Whatever you did,
you never explained it, it's not obvious, and I didn't try
very hard to guess your motives and what's going on, because
I was only looking for problems in draft-lentczner-spf-00.txt

Oh, bunk

In the post where I announced my libspf2 doc I not only referenced the
RFC in question, but I explained why I made the ABNF changes.  You
almost certianly saw that post, otherwise you wouldn't have found the
draft.

If you refuse to read what I write, please don't respond to me.

In
http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200410/0588.html

: * In order to make the ABNF unambigous with respect to CIDR notations,
:   Mark made some perfectly valid domain names unsupported, such as those
:   used by RFC2317.  I re-did the ABNF for the domain spec so that
:   these domain names would again be supported and yet keep the CIDR
:   notiation unambiguous.
:
:   Basically, all domains must end in either a macro variable or a dot
:   followed by at least one letter.  The CIDR blocks, if any, starts
:   after the end of the domain.  These are effectively checks that
:   libspf2 has been doing for about 6 months now and giving warnings if
:   domains are found that don't conform.  As a result of this ABNF
:   change, things like "a:1.2.3.4" and "a:smpt-out" are now syntax
:   errors.

-wayne