Re: SPF Organization - Questions to ALL particpants on the list on future of SPF Community

2004-10-24 05:05:15
William,

I've never been one to try to reduce one's enthusiasm. I say "Go West!"

However, I see SPF's future very limited.  We have SPF1 implemented for what
now? Over 1 year in our software, and since April/04 released in our
production line.  I don't see SPF2 in the future, certainly not in current
incarnation.

But more importantly, I need to see a most greater usage. Currently, SPF1 is
just one part of a total suite of AVS stuff.  It represents nearly a 0.0%
amount of reasons for rejects.  On a related note, 12% is captured via HELO
local domain spoofing, which was moved outside of SPF1 checking due to the
lack of cohesiveness in the specs in this regard.

In addition, a few more items to point out:

1) I have trouble with new specifications that attempt to "fix" or solve one
problem, but then opens a few more problems at the same time.

2) This direction of getting into a "committee" which will be mostly made up
of "administrative level" people, well, it will all be deja-vu again, never
seeing anything get done right with conflictive philosophies betweens admins
and developers.

3) This direction of moving SPF into a "product line" itself, well, runs
risk against about the true nature of the specification.  You are just
trying to do too much and its not going to work too well, I am afraid.  If
you want to see someone pull a support at a snap of a finger, go ahead and
complicate the spec with nonsense.

So I think whatever you do in "getting your act straight,"  you need to get
some of the basic issues in SPF1 resolved, clean up the specs and at most,
provide a support area, if required.

I see the "charter and future" for SPF very limited.  If you think PRA is
part its future, then see 1, 2 and 3 above.

Other than that, I say "Go West!"

http://www.santronics.com