RE: Unity, organisation and information for themasses

2004-10-28 16:27:34
On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 17:50 -0400, Guy wrote:
What is getting stupid is blaming Wayne for what he has done.  By creating
his draft he highlights the problems with draft-lentczner-spf-00, which
should not have been sent to the IETF.  IMHO

I dunno... I mean looking back at the list, there was so much warning
that Mark was going to submit it, and Wayne who has been the biggest
opponent of it (with some very valid technical points) did not, or was
unable to obtain change either through miscommunication or whatever, I'm
not entirely clear on the topic.

Maybe Wayne's draft should have been submitted to the IETF and not
draft-lentczner-spf-00.

.... No single persons draft should be.  Sure, someone's name(s) has to
be on it, but we need a majority agreement or else we're doomed.

Anyway, I did not intend to insult you.  Hopefully you did not read it as
such.

None taken!

I am glad you are willing to work with people that you disagree with.  I
have found that it is good to have differing opinions on a project.  The
differing opinions often trigger new ideas.  As long as everyone is willing
to debate the issues and resolve the differences.  Usually the group can be
convinced which approach is best, but when the differences can't be
resolved, the tech lead will have to make the final decision.  Hopefully the
tech lead does not have an ego, else you have the wrong tech lead.  Even the
members of the group should not have egos, else they will never be convinced
their idea is not as good as someone else's idea.

I agree.  I will do my best to be as productive as possible in this
regard, and as I have mentioned, I am willing to put aside differences
with the greater goal in mind and simply just DO IT.  Discussing SPFv2
will be a breeze and way more relaxed if we can simply put the cap on
SPFv1!

Cheers,

James

--