Re: purely dual-format approach

2004-10-30 16:06:10
wayne wrote:

you cannot add it now to v=spf1.
This is where you miss the point.

At least we agree on the position of the "point".

All SPF implementations that I know of
[ignore]
unknown modifiers anywhere

As specified in draft-lentczner-spf-00.txt and before.

as long as the scoping modifier can not remove the
MAIL FROM or HELO scopes, a sc= modifier is completely
compatible with v=spf1.

That's a new restriction you have just added, it wasn't
part of my discussion with Roger.  Of course you can add
modifiers which have no effect at all in pure MAIL FROM
evaluations.

Including all discussed variants of positional modifiers.
But you can't add the sc=pra as in "v=spf1 sc=pra -all",
because that's a FAIL under pure MAIL FROM evaluations,

libspf2 does not implement PRA checking, and therefore
should ignore any sc=pra modifiers.

Then you'd get a FAIL for "v=spf1 sc=pra -all" where the
publisher of this sender policy didn't want it.  <oops />

Now while you convinced me that the sc= idea is as old as
July, it didn't make it in draft-ietf-marid-protocol-0x,
because Mark's positional idea was better (for MARID).

But Mark's positional idea also FAILs for a PRA in v=spf1:
"v=spf1 -all only=pra" isn't any better with existing SPF
implementations.

Adding new modifiers to v=spf1 _can_ work.  But that's not
necessarily so, anything like only=pra is a counterexample.

But you've already admitted this, removing the MAIL FROM
scope with a modifier is one of the big NoNos for v=spf1.

                         Bye, Frank