Re: Yet another poll: SenderID/PRA topics

2004-10-31 22:26:39
I was sort of hoping that someone would draft an "spf charter" that says what SPF is, and what it isn't. Such a charter (if written clearly) would probably help to resolve questions like "Is this part of SPF or not".

(I noticed James posted a draft charter, but it was more a statement of HOW we might like to see things done rather than what SPF actually is.)

Since we don't have an official charter, I was hoping we could deal with the current issue of whether to keep going on the SenderID topic or not, as a short-term measure. If we decide to stop (or discourage) SenderID discussion for now, we could always re-evaluate that, with or without a charter.

I know a number of people feel strongly about the issue, and a number of others are frustrated at it coming up over and over and think it detracts from more important SPF work. I know there are vocal people on both sides of the issue, but I don't have a clear picture of whether most listmembers care about the issue or want it to go away.

If there isn't a clear consensus, I will probably err on the side of making no changes for now (which means anything the author thinks is relevant to SPF is fair play.)

Well, before you can really answer this question, you need to answer
a few other questions:

Is SPF a part of SenderID?

Is SenderID a part of Unified SPF?

If SenderID is off-topic, is Unified SPF off-topic?

Yeah, we really need a charter for SPF I guess.

Meng is an author on all of these drafts and has worked to promote all
of them.  If SenderID is the heir of SPF, why wouldn't we discuss it
here?  Many people expressed confidence in Meng representing the SPF
community and Meng has brought up the subject of both SenderID and
Unified SPF here.

I don't think it's at all clear that SenderID is the heir to SPF. I don't think that is Meng's view either. But, you are right that Meng has sort of set the precedent by bringing it up.

Is the reason for not liking the discussions about the PRA because it
exposes conflicts within the SPF community?

I think a number of people expressed frustration with the PRA discussion because positions are so far polarized that nothing ever seems to get accomplished in the discussion. That is my own reason for being frustrated with it.

Full disclosure: I happen to agree with Meng that SenderID with PRA is not really the wave of the future, but that there is much more benefit than harm in allowing SPF to be affiliated with it. However, I don't think the issue carries as much weight as its vocal participants think it does -- I think there are much more important issues to SPF's success in the world.

Therefore my own answer to the poll is 4. Probably shouldn't, because I think the importance of the issue is being vastly overblown, and its relative importance as an issue doesn't merit the label "Important to SPF". I feel it is neither important, nor is it SPF. If the discussion stays here, I will probably participate a bit here and there, and if it goes elsewhere, I will probably read and follow it, but currently I don't think it's as important as either side thinks it is.