Re: Redirected Trace header draft

2004-11-02 16:37:34
william(at)elan.net wrote:

http://www.elan.net/~william/emailsecurity/draft-leibzon-emailredirection-traceheaders-00pre02.txt

Ignoring minor stuff like typos:  That draft is apparently a
consequence of the "Submitter" drafts.  You capture the 2821
effects of the "Submitter" in a new 2822 header "Redirected".

For traditional SMTP without "Submitter" that's unnecessary,
because the "for" clause in the time stamp line could trace
the RCPT TO.  Unfortunately that's not always the case for
privacy reasons, and when I send an abuse report to unknown
3rd parties (i.e. both abuse@ and postmaster@) I sometimes
get a bounce "root(_at_)somewhere over quota" without hint, which
address failed, either abuse@ or postmaster(_at_)(_dot_)

In that case I have to test both addresses separately to get
the necessary evidence for rfc-ignorant.org.  But in theory
"for" could be good enough for traditional SMTP (incl. SRS).

BTW, did you read the new "Sendmail message tracking" RfCs ?
I did not, that's why I ask, maybe it's related to your memo.

On page 10 (alamater to company) you write:

|     SUBMITTER=bob(_at_)company(_dot_)com(_dot_)example

Why not SUBMITTER=bob(_at_)almamater(_dot_)edu(_dot_)example ?  As shown in the
time stamp line:  Received ... for <bob(_at_)almamater(_dot_)edu(_dot_)example

Original-Sender (etc.) for mailing lists is nice, that's what I
tested with GMaNe and a "Test for Seth" Sender here.  And Lars
fixed it, GMaNe now preserves an original Sender somehow... ;-)

|   C: MAIL FROM:<list(_at_)maillist(_dot_)org(_dot_)example>
|            SUBMITTER=list(_at_)maillist(_dot_)org(_dot_)example

One of several reasons why I don't like the "Submitter" drafts,
and prefer solutions based on the traditional SMTP MAIL FROM.

But I do like the "Alice in Woderland" parts of your draft :-)

IANA considerations:  Where's Original-Subject defined ?  You
don't mention it as new for registration.

                            Bye, Frank