[OT] HTML rant (was: Moved to SES-DEVEL list)

2004-11-02 15:24:48
James Couzens wrote:

http://ses.codeshare.ca/files/Working_SES_Format_Definition_08.html

Tnx (also to Seth), now I got the idea:  The all-white PNG is
irrelevant, and because it's shown as a small "broken image"
icon on my almost-non-PNG-aware browser I tried to display or
download it (with the all-white effect), because I "knew" that
it must be an image of the PDF.

But the real idea is to ignore it, scroll down (below the empty
space where a PNG-browser would display this image), and then
read the following black on dark-gray plain text.  Sorry, that
wasn't obvious - I'm so used to all these PDF incompatibilities
and PNG obstacles that I forget simple tricks like "scroll".

I apologize for the error.

Thanks, but unnecessary, just get rid of these PNGs:  Browsers
supporting PNG also can do PDF, and vice versa.  PNG was never
meant to replace plain text in the form of PDF screen shots ;-)

Dito not ps screen shots or TIFF faxes, just to name them all.
BTW, my ps viewer actually works, unlike the Acrobat 3 reader
with many new PDFs (most b/w PDFs are okay).

spf-help.net also displays PHP errors
[...]
I was unable to find any when I looked

Apparently John fixed it (thanks), and of course that was some
kind of general rant mentioning many important SPF pages.  I'm
still sad that the perfect old spf.pobox layout was replaced by
broken CSS (i.e, it doesn't work without CSS) and never fixed.

The why.html tool with its option debug would be perfect for my
purposes, if it only would be displayed on a simple text page
or in the old <pre> layout.  Now I'm forced to grab the HTML
source and extract the plain text debug result manually, sigh.

I'm not personally aware of any contact form

<http://www.spf-help.net/contact.html>  I consider pages with
"contact forms" _instead_ of a simple mailto link as a personal
insult.  These "contacts forms" _never_ work.  Of course I try
to avoid them like hell unless I "must" use them.  And that's
exactly the moment when I'm most pissed off if they don't work,
as always.  Even the amazon.com "contact forms" are a personal
insult.  Normally amazon sets the standard in all "visible with
any browser" issues, but "contact forms" are a royal PITA.

I guess by the somewhat indignant overall tone of this
message I should remove this link?

No, I was only ranting.  The old WiKi is nice as a historical
document as long as you still have the "infinitepenguins.net".

You have your times when you publish your opinions about MS
and VeriSign, and I have my times when I vent my spleens. ;-)

                         Bye, Frank