Re: Accountable Messaging Standards Group

2004-11-12 14:06:08
----- Original Message -----
From: "william(at)elan.net" <william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2004 9:42 PM
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Accountable Messaging Standards Group

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Dave Crocker wrote:

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:44:59 +0000 (GMT), csm(_at_)moongroup(_dot_)com
wrote:
PHB has made what seems to me to be an excellent suggestion. He
suggests that the subject line of this email should be the
organizational name for what we're trying to form. In spite of the
fact that he and I have had significant differences I happen to
agree with this strategy. I invite comments and discussion?

1. gaining public acceptance as a 'standards' group requires some track
record. the usual model for a group like this is that it works as an
adjunct to formal standards efforts.

2. this is an spf effort.  characterizing it as something larger --
such as "accountability messaging" will merely cause it to overlap with
other, independent efforts, thereby creating confusion.

I agree with Dave and at the same time I also agree with Phillip :)

My opinion that SPF group should do more then just SPF but SHOULD NOT be
setting up standards. Instead it should be working on email security
protocol
(foremost SPF) and do practical research into new email security
techniques.

When we do come up with something we should make it into technical spec,
we should be involved in initial testing and we help in the deployment
(something that IETF is not even trying) and promotion of new techinique
but actual standartization is left to real standards body like IETF.

I'd like to nail this one down folks - please :-)

The current process to elect five people as a council is specifically to
guide the SPF community in it's efforts to complete the job already in
hand - as per the replies to the questions on Williams questionairre
http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200411/0162.html

Please be clear - the voters will be voting for that - and that alone.

Slainte,

JohnP.
johnp(_at_)idimo(_dot_)com
ICQ 313355492