Re[2]: SPF too late?

2004-11-20 04:43:22
Hi Meng,

The quote I got was just over $1000 for "10 users", but I don't know
how they specify "users" just yet (like, how they count "agents" and
forwarding services etc). I know for sure my ISP didn't pay that much
and they're protecting us all.  As for false-negatives, I've seen
hardly any.  Unlike SPF, they appear to block all forgeries while not
blocking "forgeries" that are real (eg: pobox customers who were not
told to stop using their own SMTP servers when pobox began publishing
SPF records).  1 in a billion is very small. very very small.  SPF and
SRS are never even going to reach any ballpark within 2 orders of
magnitude that small - at least - wiyhout curbing any significant
amounts of spam even!  And that's not forgetting that nobody cares
about forgery anyway: they want spam eradication.  It truly sucks when
someone comes out with something better than you've got, before you've
even finished it, but I have to say: this appears to be it.

$100 (plus asyetunspecified fee on anniversary, rumored to be 30% by
the salesman I contacted) to prevent a user getting crap without them
loosing anything?  That's a solution that works, and now, and without
risk.  And yes - I'm buying one.  It'll pay itself off in under a
week.

Kind Regards,
Chris Drake