RE: draft-schlitt-spf-01 now available

2004-11-21 08:24:59
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of wayne
Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2004 2:44 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] draft-schlitt-spf-01 now available

In <5705(_at_)rama(_dot_)pamho(_dot_)net> "Roger Moser"
<Roger(_dot_)Moser(_at_)rama(_dot_)pamho(_dot_)net> writes:

Wayne wrote:

* The ABNF for the Received-SPF: headers needs to use LWSP
instead of SP.

The syntax for the Received-SPF: header is still broken. It
is ambiguous.

Yep, it always has been, and it isn't just the the additional keywords
that have problems.  There is nothing in the ABNF for the comment
portion of the Received-SPF: header that prevents closing parenthesis.

I think quality SPF implementations won't generate Received-SPF
headers that contain closing parenthesis, semicolons in values, etc.
I think that bad SPF implementations won't generate Received-SPF
headers that conform to any ABNF that we create.  Any parser is going
ot either have to know what SPF implementation the receiving MTA used,
or assume the worst.

I guess I could try and clean up the mess.  But, before I spend the
time, I need to know:

1) is backwards compatiblity with spf-draft-200406 important?  (That
   is basically what I've done.)
If possible it would be good.  I personally don't think it is necessary, the
definition of
SPF-Classic has been somewhat variant.  :)

2) Should we just make certain characters illegal?
I think that is best.

3) Should we try to create an escape mechanism?
Even though there are limited implementations, that's asking for trouble.  We
should probably only
go there if the characters are *really* needed.

Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry(_at_)greatgulfhomes(_dot_)com
Fax: (416) 441-9085

-wayne

http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in
Atlanta features SPF and Sender ID.
To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily
deactivate your subscription,