Re: Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Article OnAnti-Spam Technologies Mentions SPF

2004-11-22 08:46:30
On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 09:34 -0600, Daniel Taylor wrote:
Without -all Joe in sales will have those same people dropping his mail
because of a softfail or neutral result without even the courtesy of
a bounce because they are too casual with their own business
communications.

If people reject mail for a softfail or neutral result, then the IS
department probably shouldn't publish SPF at all.

At least with -all he gets a bounce and knows that he needs to contact
them by phone or through other channels. I've been through this with
actual salespeople, not just technical folks, and the hard fail is
almost always the preferred option.

With -all he advertises to the world that his company is willing to jump
on the latest bandwagon without actually having that much technical
clue, and without really considering the consequences.

Given the choice of a company which publishes '-all' and a company which
does not, I'd favour the latter for any of my custom, especially if it's
computer-related.

--
dwmw2