RE: Forwarding is spoofing Was: ElectronicFrontier Foundation (EFF) Article OnAnti-Spam Technologies Mentions SPF

2004-11-22 09:12:41
We're missing the point here, people.

The issue is to eliminate as much SPAM and PHISHING as possible and this
WILL require some radical steps to implement.  If that means forcing people
to upgrade software - which it WILL - then so be it!

Nothing else has worked.  No laws, no threats.  Being nice won't work any
more.

Define a protocal, publish it, adopt it and implement it.

The world WILL follow, in spite of the fact that a lot of people may
complain.

Bruce Barnes

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of David
Woodhouse
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 10:05
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Forwarding is spoofing Was:
ElectronicFrontier Foundation (EFF) Article OnAnti-Spam Technologies
Mentions SPF

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 16:53 +0100, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
Here's my opinion:

When my domain sends a message to a third party, this third party should
not use my domain name when it decides to forward the message. If it
needs to forward the message, it should generate a new message, either
copying the content or attaching the original message, and use its own
envelope to send that new message.

You are welcome to your opinion, but you're twenty years to late to
state it.

If it were practical to implement it, I'd probably agree with you. But
people out there are just too slow to adapt. Much of the world hasn't
even updated to ESMTP yet, for $DEITY's sake.

Too many people when challenged just declare that it's their _right_ to
make such bizarre requirements retroactively, without actually bothering
to explain their thought process.

There are answers to this problem which don't require the world to
'upgrade' to match your idea of how things should be. What's your
problem with those?

--
dwmw2

http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in Atlanta features