RE: Forwarding is spoofing Was: ElectronicFrontier Foundation (EFF) Article OnAnti-Spam Technologies Mentions SPF

2004-11-22 09:32:08

When my domain sends a message to a third party, this third
party should
not use my domain name when it decides to forward the message. If it
needs to forward the message, it should generate a new
message, either
copying the content or attaching the original message, and
use its own
envelope to send that new message.

You are welcome to your opinion, but you're twenty years to late to
state it.

If it were practical to implement it, I'd probably agree with you. But
people out there are just too slow to adapt. Much of the world hasn't
even updated to ESMTP yet, for $DEITY's sake.

RFC822 1982 descibes the use of the resent headers and the implicit
assumption that forwarders would be sending the message from themselves to
the new address.

Those that don't IMO are broken and should be fixed. There is no point in
saying "Well they might not fix it" because its just an argument to not do
anything at all. Some issues cannot be solved without someone somewhere
fixing their broken software.

For what its worth, my companies products work correctly :), when forwarding
messages the envelope becomes that of the mailbox doing the forwarding.
There is no room for error, misuse or confusion. If we have been doing it
for 10 years why cant everyone else, FHS its not rocket science.

Regards

Richard Bang
Floosietek Ltd
richard(_at_)ftgate(_dot_)com