RE: Forwarding is spoofing Was: Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Article OnAnti-Spam Technologies Mentions SPF

2004-11-22 15:00:19
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of Alex
van den Bogaerdt
Sent: maandag 22 november 2004 16:54
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: [spf-discuss] Forwarding is spoofing Was: Electronic
Frontier Foundation (EFF) Article OnAnti-Spam Technologies
Mentions SPF

Here's my opinion:

When my domain sends a message to a third party, this third party should
not use my domain name when it decides to forward the message. If it
needs to forward the message, it should generate a new message, either
copying the content or attaching the original message, and use its own
envelope to send that new message.

That sounds suspiciously SRS-ish. :) Sending a forwarded message as
attachment is cute (SA does something similar for spam), but can be mighty
annoying too. It means, for one, that someone having mail forwarded soon
has an inbox full of only attached mails!

I was serious, btw, about this being close to doing SRS, in that you face
very similar problems; like having the responsibility to accept bounces
for the forwarded mail (which comes with sending out with your own
envelope-from). SRS addresses are clever that way, in that they cut out
the middle hops. Your custom envelope-from would have to do something
kindred. I, for one, am quite happy with the functionality SRS offers.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,