RE: Can the SPF technique be used to stop IP address spoofing?

2004-11-23 06:20:22
On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 07:49 -0500, terry(_at_)ashtonwoodshomes(_dot_)com wrote:
I don't see how signing with a MAC addresses is any safer.  Indeed I see it
as less safer because
MAC addresses are not routable, so anyone can fake their MAC address to be
anything they want it to
be.

This is of course true, and its a place where the analogy breaks down
slightly -- but no analogy is perfect; they simply serve to help people
view the same problem from a slightly different angle.

The 'suggestion' is flawed in many ways other than this one, just as SPF
is.

An analogy doesn't necessarily help _everyone_ to understand the problem
better, but certainly this one works well enough.

--
dwmw2