Re: Sendmail white paper

2004-11-24 12:45:12
James Couzens wrote:
On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 08:52 -0800, Rand Wacker wrote:

There is currently very little deployment of IIM or SES, and little indication that will grow soon. There are already a number of large sites signing/checking DK, so there is real sender benefit to implement. I still have hopes that IIM and DK will centralize on a standard spec, so I didn't want to confuse the issue with two (comparably expensive) crypto approaches yet without major benefits to doing so.

Oh I see, so this is a POPULARITY CONTEST.  Well, glad to see it will be
the MOST POPULAR cryptography scheme that gets all the attention (yes
just as stupid as saying "yeah it was in the last place I looked").
Glad to see you are right on top of everything over there at Sendmail

Surprised you just didn't go ahead and imply that Yahoo was paying us to support DK (although I'm sure that Cisco would have deeper pockets in that regards).

Its not a popularity contest, these recommendations are specifically aimed at our customers (both open source and commercial) who want some guidance on what they should be doing with sender authentication. Based on where things are today and likely going in the next six months, it makes much more sense for people to deploy DK than IIM. We've analyzed both approaches closely, worked directly with both of the teams, and continue to do so, so this recommendation not based on what popular opinion is.

-Rand