we're not deaf (was: Attacking Domain Keys)

2004-11-29 13:33:14
Seth Goodman wrote:

Wayne has brought up that issue repeatedly and his warnings
have fallen largely on deaf ears.

He addreses it in draft-schlitt-01, grep for the magic "10":

Page 19 (mx) :
 "a limit of 10 MX names MUST be enforced"

Page 20 (ptr):
 "a limit of 10 PTR names MUST be enforced" [...] "if more
  than 10 sending-domain_names are found, use at most 10.

Page 26:
 "SPF implementations MUST limit the number of mechanisms that
  do DNS lookups to at most 10." [...]

 "When evaluating the "mx" mechanism, there MUST be a limit of
  no more than 10 MXes looked up and checked for matching IP
  addresses".

 "When evaluating the "ptr" mechanism or the %{p} macro, there
  MUST be a limit of at most 10 PTR DNS records looked up and
  checked for a validated domain name."

There's also a section in chapter 10 (security considerations)
about this.  IMHO the part about an optional overall timeout of
at least 20 seconds is now useless and should be deleted.

Any redirect= should be counted towards the magical "10", they
do not want to evaluate something like...

 a.example. IN SPF "v=spf1 redirect=b.example"
 b.example. IN SPF "v=spf1 redirect=a.example"

..."forever" (or for 20 seconds), it's enough after 5 + 5 = 10
redirections.

I suspect there are rational ways to deal with that problem

See above, the other "magical number" is 512 ;-)  Bye, Frank