Re: Attacking Domain Keys

2004-11-26 08:57:32
James Couzens wrote:

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 10:16 -0500, George Schlossnagle wrote:

So err, whats the point of DK then?
It's an authentication system - like SPF is. It doesn't tell you anything about the quality of the sender, just like SPF doesn't. And it isn't designed to be a computational penalty. Look at hashcash, penny black or something of that ilk if you want to purposefully incorporate computational cost into SMTP.

So DK is expensive, puts full cryptographic burden upon the recipient,
is vulnerable to YAdDoS, and has no more value than SPF does, and you
can't do pre-data rejection.  Where do I sign?
You sign in the message headers.  Read the spec.

DK is as expensive as SPF in my eyes. SPF requires several DNS requests and is victim to DoS attacks in that respect as well (just capping the time or count doesn't prevent that well). So, as processors will certainly get faster tomorrow, latency will not change. Half dozen of one, six of the other.

SPF and DK are authentication technologies. One handles RFC2821 and the other 2822. DK adds to that the preservation of message integrity. They are different, but will go along with the "they have the same value" mentality. But, as they tackle different problem scopes, the benefit of their value aggregates.

I really don't get your argument. pre-data rejection would be done by technologies like SPF. Dk has value on top of that.

You need to go back and do your math again. Even from a purely computational standpoint, the standard SA classification ruleset is a couple hundred times slower that DK verification. The SpamAssassin guys themselves will tell you this - it's not a high-performance solution.

No I don't.  I don't run the standard ruleset and its by no means an
ordinary setup, but it most certainly doesn't qualify from my data as
"several orders of magnitude".
DK takes about 4ms to validate. YMMV. I'm a computer scientist, so when I say order of magnitude, I mean <<1. And yes, SA is dramatically more expensive than DK -- if SA slipped in DK tests, no one would even notice a slowdown.

As noted above, even with SPF people will still spam. They are authentication solutions. Authentication solutions only tell you that a sender is or isn't who they claim to be. Out of the box they at best prevent fraudulent senders. To do anything more ambitious than that they both require coupling with an authorization technology that says 'I know for certain who you are. Now do I want mail from you?'

Yes, this is a whole other point entirely.  If I were to have just
stepped in here and read your message about DK I would not be
implementing it any time soon or for that matter ever.  It seems
absolutely pointless when with a small amount of fixing SPF can be used
at a phenomenally reduced cost to reject in 2821.
They don't reject the same messages. DK only needs to be performed on messages that don't get rejected in 2821. This dialog tastes a bit funny following on the heals of the whole "you shouldn't be rejection on SPF" argument.

We have enough crap out there already that will deal with mail in 2822
land.  Once mail is in the data stage, whats the point, you might as
well run SpamAssassin for all the benefits you get with it, or some
other classification mechanism such as procmail or maildrop.
Again using "we" too loosely. You may have enough crap. I certainly have too much crap. I am looking for things that are concise, simple and work. DK is that. And, as this message is DK signed and I didn't burden you with cryptographic responsiblity, I don't see how you argument holds water. DK is both transparent to the end user and does not require participation. If you choose not to sign messages, fine. If you choose not to validate them, fine. Just like SPF, there is no obligation to participate.

--
// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/