Role for the new council??

2004-11-26 04:11:23
If this has already been done then please accept my apologies for
cluttering up an already busy list.

I have read about as much as I can and understand the principle of SPF
and how it works. What I find confusing as probably do other IT people
that are not at the forefront of SPF is when there are multiple threads
that end up going off on a tangent.

Most (if not all) of the threads I have read are based around a
technical solution and every now and again someone asking questions like
- How does that fit in with my setup? I forward through a transatlantic
mail server what SPF record should I use? and other specific/individual
questions. I appreciate it is a  discussion list so no need for
sarcastic comments.

What I have NOT seen is a document that clearly lays out ALL scenarios
of mail traffic including legit, spoofed, bounces, NDR, receipts,
forwarding, ........, and other configurations I do not pretend to
understand. For each scenario, risks and solution(s) should be
documented. This will allow non SPF technical people to communicate the
scenario they have and the council to publish the proposed/agreed
solution/standard etc.

For example
It is recommended NOT to send NDR as it increases traffic and that is
the intent of some viruses. However when a legit email is sent but the
address is typed incorrectly then the sender is not notified that a
possibly critical email has failed to be delivered. A
solution/recommendation could be that mail that passes SPF will send NDR
as it is a genuine email that has a typo in the email address.

Perhaps this should be a separate list - maybe it already is.

Cheers

Nigel

http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in Atlanta features
SPF and Sender ID.